Pregnancy and publishing go hand in hand this May

Maybe you haven't (but probably have) heard of it, that unexpected pregnancy tends to mess up peoples' lives. So, last November (in the middle of my first NaNoWriMo challenge) when I realized my husband and I were going to have a baby I experienced a minor panic attack. And, boy, it was the first of many. (I still won NaNoWriMo, though, just sayin'.) Don't get me wrong. I'm not afraid of kids. On the contrary, I'm great with them, always have been. The issue here was pregnancy itself. I was 24 (still am) and I wasn't prepared, not to mention I didn't have a clue of what was waiting for me. So, naturally, I turned to men's best friend, the world wide web. During my little research I completely forgot about writing. Suddenly, it didin't seem so important anymore.

After spending a few nights of reading about all the horrors, I realized having a baby is a little more complicated than F.R.I.E.N.D.S. (yes, the series) claimed it to be. I'm not going to go into details here, but believe me, these past seven months taught me to respect motherhood. And just when I got used to the whole thing, read about ten books on the subject and started to feel confident, shit hit the fan with a force so strong even master Yoda hadn't encountered. My doctor informed me that I was going to be bedridden for the remaining three months.

Doing nothing is boring, unpleasant even. But being unable to do anything simply drives you mad. I spent a couple of weeks lying in my bed and waiting for time to pass, literally. Of course, I would do anything if it was for the sake of my baby boy, but loosing my sanity surely wasn't going to win me the mom of the year trophy. As the days slid through my hands depression started to take over me. I felt like a helpless, useless fool, while my husband worked his ass off. And that wasn't good for either of us. So, I decided there had to be something even I could do. The answer was quite simple: I could still write. I found my way back to an old passion that I'd abandoned for the last few months.

Here's the deal: to re-evoke some sense of accomplishment I am going to publish the first short story I had ever written. I just need a couple of weeks to make it presentable and then I'm going down the self-pubbing slide. Wish me luck and see you in a few weeks.



This is the cover you'll want to look for to take a peek into a forgotten world. Follow Kurjak, the wolf to his last hunt and watch him unite with his long lost family. Stay tuned for more details and a decent blurb.


Oh, and one more thing, a wish that I truly mean: Happy Mother's Day to every mom!



What do you think of the cover? Share your thoughts in the comment section below!

4 comments:

365_books_a_year June 9, 2012 at 7:20 AM  

Congratulations on the baby. I was on bed rest for all three of my kids- the last two I was on bed rest from the first OB/GYN visit. The best thing about bed rest- people felt so sorry for me they brought over all of my favorite foods. The worst thing about bed rest- those favorite foods made me gain 50+ pounds. I swear, though, I took off all the baby weight in about 3 months- breast feeding.

I'm so glad you mentioned NaNoWriMo. After reading your post I checked it out and am going to do it this November. I read "The Children's Book" by Byatt a few years ago- the main character writes each of her children a story. Each of my children, eventually, gets their own story. We somehow over time agree on a basic premise/plot and it gets told over and over. Eventually evolving into something fairly constant. Ever since reading that book- and mentioning it to my husband- I've been telling myself that I need to get those stories written down as a keepsake for my children. It looks like you're allowed to plan out the book- outline, character sketches- in advance. So, I guess I'm going to try to do that by November.

Hermina Oláh Vass June 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM  

Thanks. Bed rest was killing me, I'm just glad it's over. You know what they say, it's always the small things that count. Well, I sign, seal, deliver THAT.

Wow, I wish you the best of luck for November. Don't forget to let me know how it works out. The whole event is such an elevating experience.

365_books_a_year June 11, 2012 at 3:00 PM  

At some point, post some baby pictures. Although, baby pictures always make me want to have another baby. (My husband says, no. Too stressful for him. Even my OB/GYN told me he's getting a little old for one of my pregnancies. His office has hunted him down and he's called me from cruise ships, Disneyland, etc. I think pregnancy #2 almost did him in- I was in the hospital every 3 days.)

Hermina Oláh Vass June 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM  

Wow. You sound like a patient that keeps her doctor busy. How old are your kids?

My mother says I whine too much. But hey, if now is not the time for that, I don't know when it is. Anyways, I definitely plan on posting a few pics of the little imp. Can't wait to be there already.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.